[Ntop] ntop >> PostgreSQL/MySQL?

Burton Strauss Burton at ntopSupport.com
Mon Feb 28 23:46:03 CET 2005

How about reading docs/FAQ (available from About | Help on your running
instance)???  It's Q1(a). in the top 10...

TOP 10 - the questions everyone asks...

Q1(a). Can I store data in a SQL database?
Q1(b). When ntop stops I lose all my data.  Why?
Q1(c). Why doesn't the -S option work?

A. ntop used to optionally store some data in a SQL database.  The code was
   broken, difficult to maintain, etc. and was removed.  A LONG TIME AGO.
   If you are reading about this in 'some' documentation - update.

   Current ntop is 3.1, which is the only version we support.

   There are scripts that various users have offered to take the data dump
   and insert it into a SQL database.  Search the back traffic on the
mailing
   list for them.

   Yes, ntop uses memory based structures to hold usage data and they are
lost
   when you reset or restart ntop.

   Persistent storage is in the RRD databases - there's a paper @
SourceForge
   that explains them.

   There was another option for some persistence - it was -S - look down
about
   5K lines in this FAQ for an article about it, "What was the -S option?".

-----Burton

  _____