[Ntop] libpcap error rebuilding ntop

Hernando Tovar ntop@unipi.it
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:44:34 -0500

--------------020305080703060600070201

Thakn's Burton,

I'll Try first whit the binary rpm of version 2.2c, and if doesn't work
I'll try to install the source rpm and build the binary from source like
you said.
I think you will heard from me soon.

Again, Thank's a lot.

- Nando -

--
Hernando Tovar Carroll

--------------020305080703060600070201

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Thakn's Burton,<br>
I'll Try first whit the binary rpm of version 2.2c, and if doesn't work I'll
try to install the source rpm and build the binary from source like you said.<br>
I think you will heard from me soon.<br>
Again, Thank's a lot.<br>
- Nando -<br>
Burton M. Strauss III wrote:<br>
 cite="midJIEPJGFPFMFIGBNCPKGGEEBCEIAA.Burton@ntopsupport.com">
  <pre wrap="">Y'all need to do some learning about rpms, so here's a brief course.

RPMs come in two 'flavors', source and binary.

You normally grab the binary (it will be named .i386.rpm or .i486.rpm, etc.)
and install that and away you go.

You download and install the SOURCE rpm (.src.rpm) if you want or need the
source code, for example to build a package with different compile time
options.

Most of the time, a binary .rpm for one version of RedHat will work on other
versions, but that's not always true, especially if the package is dependent
upon things that change from release to release, such as glibc.  It will
usually work UP, not down, that is a dependency on libpng &gt;= 1.2.1 will be
[...]

Burton M. Strauss III wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">2.2 is no longer supported.  There is a 2.2c at SourceForge and we're
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->asking
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">people to test the cvs version also.

That rpm was probably created on a RH 7.3 system... so I can't vouch for
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->the
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">dependencies in the rpm being 100% accurate on any other RH version.
Remember, when you install a package, there is often a -devel version that
has the header files that must also be installed.  As it happens that's not
true for libpcap (there's no libpcap-devel that I'm aware of)...  you can
always look for the pieces via:

$ locate libpcap
/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0
/usr/lib/libpcap.a
/usr/lib/libpcap.so
/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.6.2
/usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.6
/usr/share/doc/libpcap-0.6.2
/usr/share/doc/libpcap-0.6.2/CHANGES
/usr/share/doc/libpcap-0.6.2/README
$ locate pcap.h
/usr/include/pcap.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.19um/include/config/uml/net/pcap.h

It ought to work, as /usr/lib is a 'standard' location for ld to resolve
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->.so
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">files from and the pcap.h file is where the ntop.spec file says it should
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->be
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">(at least on my system).

Check your file permissions - maybe the userid you're compiling as doesn't
have access to /usr/include/pcap.h???

More to the point, why are you mixing methods?  If you install from an rpm,
you usually install the BINARY package.  If you install the SOURCE, then
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->you
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">should be following the instructions in BUILD-ntop.txt.

-----Burton

[...]

*&gt;&gt;&gt; Continuing without libpcap is impossible.
*