[Ntop-dev] ntop 3.2 roadmap
Burton at ntopSupport.com
Mon Oct 3 15:39:03 CEST 2005
Well, I take issue with the basic premise, that ntop should be released
because a period of time has elapsed. However, we've both stopped
committing functional enhancements and focused on stability and cleanup for
the last month or two. Which is MY definition of ready to release.
There is really only one thing I would like to change, which would be to
alter the point at which we drop root privileges. But reworking that code
is a significant disruption, so I'm willing to postpone it.
This is not an issue where we have made ntop less secure 3.2 will be better
than 3.1 and that was better than 3.0, etc.!
We remain committed to fixing any security issues that are discovered with
I am not presently aware of any security issues with ntop.
We also suggest that people do not publicly expose ntop instances -
there's simply no reason to run even that slight risk.
That said, I will be tagging the cvs as 3.2rc2 and building .tgz and .rpm
files for upload to SourceForge today.
I suggest people test with 3.2rc2. Baring any major problems, I plan to
release 3.2 during the week of 10-14 Oct 2005.
Based on VMs that I have built, I should be able to create additional .rpm
files this time vs. 3.2rc1.
Luca - after I upload the .tgz I'll email you and I'll expect you to
create/upload the Windows demo and Mac OS X packages.
Outstanding issues (contact me off-list if you are willing to take these
We still need somebody willing to create .deb packages.
We need somebody willing to take on the task of testing/building in the
Win32 - Somebody needs to take Georger Araujo's work and package it for
SourceForge (i.e. a prebuilt .zip file of the 3.2rc2 code). An update to
docs/BUILD-MinGW.txt is also in order.
Luca has reported problems w/ ntop compiling in the Solaris environment
related to libtool 1.4.x. For me, Solaris is an on-going problem, as I
can't seem to build a working VMware VM w/ Solaris 10 x86. As a
work-around, if you install libtool 1.3.5 and then (install and) run
autoconf before ./configure, ntop should build. I haven't been able to test
this. I may be able to look at this after 3.2rc2 is released. Maybe.
From: ntop-dev-bounces at unipi.it [mailto:ntop-dev-bounces at unipi.it] On Behalf
Of Luca Deri
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 3:53 AM
To: ntop-dev Mailing List
Subject: [Ntop-dev] ntop 3.2 roadmap
I see that there are some ongoing discussions on the mailing list about
pre-3.2. I understand that some of your still have some minor issues with
ntop, but we cannot postpone indefinitively the release of 3.2. The latest
stable release 3.1 is almost one year old, and it's really time to move
ahead. In fact we cannot postpone indefinitively new features that cannot be
introduced at this stage as 3.2 is very close. Nor major patches cannot be
accepted, for the very same reason.
All I can tell you is that I would like to see 3.2 out next week. Any
Luca Deri <deri at ntop.org> http://luca.ntop.org/
Hacker: someone who loves to program and enjoys being clever about it -
Ntop-dev mailing list
Ntop-dev at unipi.it
More information about the Ntop-dev